WHAT WE KNOW
THE MADLAB BUSINESS MODEL WORKS
We have spent the past 10 years of our lives on a 14-hour a day mission to build the best gym in the world. We have invested $250,000 of our own money, building tools and auditing 1,000 gyms, using the funnel as our basis for analysis.
We have been implementing the concepts that we have unearthed that work and have found better ways at better prescribing how to implement change.
Flat out – If you are 100% committed to the work……. They work. 100% of the time.
1) DO PERSONAL TRAINING
One-on-one or one-on-two for every person who comes in to your facility. Lay out physical benchmarks that each person must reach before they can begin group classes. Charge market rates in line with other personal trainers in your area. Personal training sessions should fall in a range between 12-20 sessions depending on the person’s fitness level. The quality control for this process alone will put you head and shoulders above all other gyms in your area.
2) DEVELOP AN ACCREDITED COACH DIPLOMA PROGRAM:
The program should take coaches two years to complete; it should require due diligence and hard work, but the benefits will be enormous.
3) DON’T PAY YOUR COACHES BY THE HOUR, CLASS OR SALARY:
Pay them based on their ability to attract, retain and generate referrals from clients. Base compensation on the gross revenue they generate directly. This process allows coaches to earn professional wages between $5,000 – $10,000 per month and will double the box’s gross revenue.
The latter three rules alone will put you ahead of 95 % of all gyms in the world. Follow these rules and you will earn real profit, a professional wage for you and your coaches, and you’ll have the best retention and referral numbers in the business, as well as a business with real worth that you can sell and retire on.
What our group does is show people what works and what doesn’t, so gym owners can skip through 5-10 years of misery and possible bankruptcy.
Then once you understand what works (it is 180 degrees different than how 95% of all CrossFit boxes are run currently), then we will show you how to implement the changes. All our information is available on our online school.
We have to give special thanks to Greg Glassman, whose thoughts, insights and experience, was crucial to developing our systems. The legacy of working closely with him in 2004-2007 put us on a path to excellence that shines through today.
Why Group X Doesn’t Work
Professionalizing The Fitness Industry
What We Do
What we do is very simple in concept and takes years to master in practice
Simply put we are teaching you a proven business model that works for “Functional Fitness” / CrossFit gyms.
Along the way you will learn how to become a true professional, teach your coaches how to become professionals and earn professional wages that coincide with the service you are offering. Business owners NEED to make over $150,000 a year while working less than 40 hours a week and Coaches NEED to make over $80,000 a year while working less than 25 hours per week on the floor.
I personally have done this in Vancouver and many of our member gyms are doing this today. Our job is to teach you how.
The first step in this process is understanding that the business model used in 98% of gyms that employ complex and potent fitness regimes like CrossFit are fatally flawed. They were designed for Aerobics, Yoga and curves, not for world class fitness.
The second step is understanding and accepting that in today’s market taking a 2 day course on “9 movements” and then opening a gym DOES NOT prepare you for owning and running a successful gym. It is a recipe for financial disaster. In fact every affiliate gym we talk to, even those who have been around for a decade that operate their gyms with a group X model are in financial straights.
Lastly, you have to earn it. The days of opening your doors and having 150 members flood in are over. They maybe should never have happened in the first place, but no matter, you have to learn the essentials to have a successful business:
- Learn how to earn clients
- Learn how to retain clients
- Learn how to train Coaches
- Learn how to compensate and retain coaches so they never want to leave your business
As we mentioned previously, most gyms have no chance at doing well in any of those 4 categories. With the MadLab business model, and a lot of hard work, you can do all four and thus build a business that is sustainable, has real worth and can be sold in order for you to retire.
Our job is to show you how to do it.
MADLAB MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
- OWNER EDUCATION – LEARNING THE MADLAB BUSINESS MODEL:
- Online school modules, with tests that teach the owner the concepts of what makes a gym successful
- OWNER EDUCATION – GUIDED IMPLEMENTATION:
- Once a gym owner understands the MadLab business model he/she meets with an implementation expert to guide them through the process of change in their gym. There is also a series of online modules to help the owner make the necessary strategic improvements
- MADLAB SUMMIT:
- 2 day mastermind course for business owners to hone and develop their ability to lead, for coaches to learn to sell, and for the group to get together and learn from each other.
- The Summit is in Las Vegas. Oh yeah……..we also party.
- MADLAB OWNERS’S FORUM:
- Dedicated forum for all owners and coaches in the group to share ideas, best practices, videos, links, etc and ask questions
- PROFESSIONAL COACH DIPLOMA PROGRAM:
- Two year program that features an online component as well as a practicum that requires coaches to be able to generate $10,000 a month in gross revenue.
- MADLAB COACH’S FORUM:
- Dedicated forum for all coaches in the group to share ideas, videos, links, etc and ask questions
- BUSINESS DASHBOARD:
- MadLab specific modification of the Zen Planner CRM to allow the owner and Coach to view the important business information such as the funnel, gross revenue, attendance etc.
- MADLAB MARKETING SERVICES (WEBSITES, LOCAL MARKETING AND BRANDING AND EMAIL NURTURING SYSTEM)
- MadLab specific website that is focused on generating leads and describing differentiation between MadLab gyms and the rest. Local marketing program designed to build your unique brand and establish you as a leader in your area and an email marketing system designed to nurture those who may not quite be ready to buy yet. Local marketing + websites + email creates everything you need to market yourself effectively and stand out in a crowded market.
- QUALITY CONTROL STANDARDS:
- One Seal, Two Seal and Three Seal standards of excellence for gyms. These standards include: Coach accreditation program, Minimum pricing for Personal training and Group classes, Morning and evening coaching teams, minimum standards for coach pay, graduation to group classes based on benchmarks and 1 on 1 personal training.
- Never be worried about how to talk with new clients coming to your gym. MadLab professional sales training will teach you and your coaches everything you need to know to evaluate the client to see if they meet the standards to be part of your gym in an ethical and easy to learn way.
- MadLab Movement System
A Standardized Method for Creating highly Skilled Movement Coaches based and created in conjunction with Sean Manseau author of the book By The Numbers